Blog

Diabetes and the benefits of exercise for diabetic sufferers – Part 1

Posted by:

What is diabetes?
Diabetes is a condition characterised by hyperglycaemia (high blood sugar) due to insulin resistance or insulin deficiency. Long term complications of diabetes include; neural, retinal, renal and cardiovascular complications.
There are two types of diabetes, type 1 is an autoimmune disorder characterised by a deficient or non-existent insulin secretion by the panaceas. Type 2 diabetes (the most prevalence type) is a disease that most probably occurs due to poor lifestyle choices e.g. inactivity, high fat diet and obesity, resulting in high blood glucose due to an insulin resistance and/or an insufficient secretion of insulin, however the cause is still unknown. Type 2 diabetes accounts for 95% of the total diabetic patients, leaving only 5% of the diabetic patients suffering from type 1 diabetes. This highlights that long-term poor lifestyle choices are a major contributor to the type 2 diabetic phenomenon which is steadily increasing in Australia and in the western world. This underscores the importance of healthy lifestyle program interventions to prevent the onset of type 2 diabetes or to manage the condition in current sufferers to prevent the onset of long term complications.

Exercise benefits in patients suffering Type 2 diabetes?
Exercise is an important, if not the most important treatment for patients with type 2 diabetes. The goal of exercise and other treatment modalities is to reduce and maintain near normal blood glucose levels and optimal lipid levels in the aim to prevent or prolong the onset of diabetic complications. Exercise acts to reduce insulin resistance, allowing the muscles and other organs to uptake the glucose circulating the blood, thereby reducing blood sugar levels. This process, over an extended period of time participating in physical activity, will lead to improved blood glucose and lipid levels. Exercise will also have other important benefits including; weight management, improved cardiovascular functioning, improved physical function and physiological benefits.
To ensure patient safety, blood glucose should be monitored regularly to ensure no abnormalities occur. Food and diabetic medication intake should be scheduled around when exercise is performed to ensure a safe blood glucose level.

Stay tuned for part 2.

4


4 comments on “Diabetes and the benefits of exercise for diabetic sufferers – Part 1

  1. I like what you guys are up too. This type of clever work and coverage!
    Keep up the excellent works guys I’ve included you guys to our blogroll.

  2. Good article. I’m experiencing some of these issues as well..

  3. If you have type 2 diabetes, you have more options to control blood sugar than ever before. But just because one drug—insulin—has been around for 90 years , doesn’t mean it’s less useful or important than other drugs.

  4. I much like the beneficial information you provide inside of your article content.I’ll bookmark your blog and look at again right here recurrently.I am fairly absolutely sure I’ll realize plenty of new stuff best the following! Fantastic luck for the upcoming!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

* Copy This Password *

* Type Or Paste Password Here *

8,365 Spam Comments Blocked so far by Spam Free Wordpress

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>